POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Divide by Zero Error ? : Re: Divide by Zero Error ? Server Time
4 Jul 2024 11:46:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Divide by Zero Error ?
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 10 Aug 1999 03:15:24
Message: <37afd18c@news.povray.org>
In povray.bugreports Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
: I suspect it to be a Windows compiler (or memory allocation library) bug. I
: tried the scene up to 450 * 450 spheres without any problems, instabilities
: or crashes on my Mac.

  The fact that a program doesn't crash in certain platforms doesn't mean
that the program is bugless.
  I once made a program which worked just fine in SunOS and Digital Unix
but crashed in a malloc()-call in Linux. Was there some problem with Linux
memory management?
  Not at all! Actually the memory management of Linux was better than the
ones in SunOS or Digital Unix. The bug was in my program (I made an
off-by-one mistake when writing to a table). The memory management of
Linux saw this and crashed the program while SunOS and Digital Unix were
unable to. Thanx to Linux I found the problem and was able to fix it.
  So the bug _may_ be in the program although it works in some systems.